St Luke’s Anglican Church Building
St Luke’s was built in 1883-84 to replace an older church erected in 1841. The current structure is red-brick with stone dressings. It is of an early English Gothic design and is set among well-established trees. The bell was provided by William Dangar for the first church. Thomas Cook and J.H. Doyle of Invermein made substantial contributions.
Cook is buried in the churchyard cemetery which was the first in the shire, being used between 1838 and 1864. It includes the Dangar family vault, located near the chancel. The rectory was built in 1925.
St Luke’s Anglican Church Organ
The Birmingham firm of Halmshaw & Sons built the organ in 1887. The only other example of their work in Australia which can be identified is now at the residence of Neil Shilton, Esq., Mentone, Victoria. Brown & Arkley, Sydney, carried out restoration work in 1980 at a cost of $16,000.
St Luke’s Anglican Church Graveyard
The first Anglican Church of St Luke was erected on this site in 1840 and its associated cemetery bears inscriptions dating from the same year. The monuments in the church grounds are almost exclusively from the 19th century and many are now showing their age. A listing of headstone records, including images is available online.